- Prospective Students
- Why Public Health at Ohio State
- Commitment to Diversity
- How to Apply
- Admissions Staff
- Recruitment Calendar
- Career Services
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Health Administration
- Master of Science
- Doctor of Philosophy
- Dual/Combined Degrees
- Graduate Interdisciplinary Specialization in Global Health
- Bachelor of Science in Public Health
- Combined BSPH/MPH Degree Program
- Global Public Health Minor
- Epidemiology Minor
- Current Students
- Office of Academic Programs and Student Services
- Course Offerings
- Undergraduate Students
- Graduate Students
- Student Spotlights
- Student Organizations
- Career Services
- Curriculum Guides
- Graduation Information
- Graduate Student Newsletter
- Undergraduate Student Newsletter
- Future Student Newsletter
- CPH Directory
- Environmental Health Sciences
- Health Behavior and Health Promotion
- Health Service Management and Policy
- Health Outcomes, Policy and Evaluation Studies
- Center for Public Health Practice
- Online Learning
- Summer Program
- Prevention Research Center
- About the PRC
- Community Partnerships
- Center of Excellence in Regulatory Tobacco Science
- Project 1: Tobacco Marketing and Youth Initiation
- Project 2: Biomarkers in Adolescents
- Project 3: Diversity of Tobacco Products
- Project 4: Maximizing Health Risk Understanding
- Pilot: Maximizing Health Risk Understanding: Appalachian Sample
- Pilot: Effects of ENDS on the Oral Microbiome
- Pilot: Online E-Cigarette Advertising Study
- Pilot: Functional Neuroimaging
- Pilot: Effects of Ecigs on Lungs
- Funding Opportunities
- Alumni & Friends
- Alma Matters Newsletters
- Alumni Connect
- Public Health Jobs
- Volunteer Leaders
- Alumni Societies
- Alumni Spotlights
- Giving to the College of Public Health
- Employer Resources
- Alumni Involvement Form
- Graduation Placement Survey
- Public Health Buckeyes Blog
- Public Health Farmers' Market
- Farm to Table Program
- Summer Program
- National Public Health Week
- Comparative Effectiveness Research
- Community Health
- Faculty Service
- Social Stories
- Excellence in Teaching Award
- Voices from the Community
- Ebola from the Front Lines
- Midland Lecture
Julie K. Bower, PhD, MPH
344 Cunz Hall
1841 Neil Ave
Columbus, OH 43210
Dr. Bower is a cardiovascular and diabetes epidemiologist with specific interests in type 2 diabetes, hypertension, lifestyle risk factors and health disparities. Her research focuses on understanding the epidemiology of diabetes and cardiovascular diseases; biological pathways through which lifestyle behaviors influence metabolic factors; vascular complications of diabetes; the role of race and ethnicity in disease pathogenesis and distribution; and the diabetes exposome.
NHLBI Postdoctoral Fellowship in Cardiovascular Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2010-2013
PhD, Epidemiology, University of Minnesota, 2010
MPH, Health Behavior and Health Education, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2006
BS, Health Sciences, James Madison University, 2000
PUBHEPI 6410: Principles of Epidemiology
PUBHEPI 8430: Epidemiology IV
Kite B, Tangasi W, Kelley M, Bower JK, Foraker RE. “Electronic Medical Records and their use in health promotion and population research of cardiovascular disease,” Current Cardiovascular Risk Reports. 2015; 9, 422-429.
Juraschek SP, Bower JK, Selvin E, Shantha GPS, Hoogeveen RC, Ballantyne CM, Young JH. “Plasma lactate and incident hypertension in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study,” American Journal of Hypertension. 2014; 28(2), 216-224.
Varma R, Bressler NM, Doan QV, Gleeson M, Danese M, Bower JK, Selvin E, Dolan C, Fine J, Colman S, Turpcu A. “Prevalence of and risk factors for diabetic macular edema in the United States,” JAMA Opthalmology. 2014; 132(11): 1334-1340.
Park Y, Ko S, Lee J, Han K, Song SJ, Kang SW, Bower JK, Ahn Y. “Glycaemic and haemoglobin A1c thresholds for detecting diabetic retinopathy: the fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2011),” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 2014; 104(3), 435-442.
Bower JK, Pankow JS, Lazo M, Christenson E, Hoogeveen RC, Ballantyne CM, Halushka MK, Astor BC, Selvin E. “Three-year variability in plasma concentrations of the soluble receptor for advanced glycation end products (sRAGE),” Clinical Biochemistry. 2014; 47, 132-134.
Bressler NM, Varma R, Doan QV, Gleeson M, Danese M, Bower JK, Selvin E, Dolan C, Fine J, Turpcu A. “Underuse of the health care system by persons with diabetes mellitus and diabetic macular edema in the United States,” JAMA Opthalmology. 2014; 132(2): 168-173.
Carson AP, Lewis CE, Jacobs DR, Peralta CA, Steffen LM, Bower JK, Person SD, Muntner P. “Evaluating the Framingham hypertension risk prediction model in young adults: the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study,” Hypertension, 2013; 62(6), 1015-1020.
Bower, JK, Brancati FL, Selvin E. “No ethnic differences in the association of glycated hemoglobin with retinopathy: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005-2008,” Diabetes Care, 2013; 36(3), 569-573.
Bower JK, Lazo M, Juraschek SP, Selvin E. “Within-person variability in high-sensitivity C-reactive protein,” Archives of Internal Medicine, 2012; 172(19), 1519-1521.
Sherwood A, Bower JK, Routledge FS, Blumenthal JA, McFetridge-Durdle JA, Newby LK, Hinderliter AL. “Nighttime blood pressure dipping in postmenopausal women with coronary heart disease,” American Journal of Hypertension, 2012; 25(20), 1077-1082.
Bower JK, Appel LJ, Matsushita K, Young JH, Alonso A, Brancati FL, Selvin E. “Glycated hemoglobin and risk of hypertension in the Atherosclerosis Risk and Communities (ARIC) Study,” Diabetes Care, 2012; 35(5), 1031-1037.
Bower JK, Schreiner PJ, Sternfeld B, Lewis CE. “Black-white differences in hysterectomy prevalence: the CARDIA Study,” American Journal of Public Health, 2009; 99(2), 300-307.
Bower JK, Hales DP, Tate DF, Rubin D, Benjamin SE, Ward DS. “The child care environment and children’s physical activity,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2008; 34(1), 23-29.
Sherwood A, Bower JK, McFetridge-Durdle J, Blumenthal JA, Newby LK, Hinderliter AL. “Age moderates the short-term effects of transdermal 17β-estradiol on endothelium-dependent vascular function in postmenopausal women,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, 2007; 27(8), 1782-1787.