Each April, the American Public Health Association (APHA) unites the nation around public health issues with National Public Health Week. Students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends of the College of Public Health at Ohio State celebrate the week with a lineup of events emblematic of our work in public health.
Browse the list of this year's events below and celebrate public health with us!
Monday, April 1
How HIV Impacted Us All
How a lead physician/researcher and a health commissioner tackled the deadly epidemic, and the lessons that will help shape future crises. Refreshments will be provided.
• 11:45 a.m.–1 p.m.
• Richard M. Ross Heart Hospital Auditorium
• Sponsored by the College of Public Health and the College of Medicine Public Health Interest Group
4th Annual College of Public Health Research Day: Student Research Showcase
CPH Research Day is intended to provide current students and postdoctoral researchers a collegial environment to showcase their own projects, improve their scientific writing and oral presentation skills, and obtain crucial feedback from faculty and other students. Refreshments will be provided.
• Session 1: 3–5 p.m.
• Session 2: 5–7 p.m.
• Biomedical Research Tower, room 115
• Sponsored by the College of Public Health, the College of Public Health Office of Research, the Public Health Graduate Student Association, and the Public Health Student Leadership Council (PH
CPH Trivia Night
Trivia Night is for College of Public Health students, faculty, staff and alumni to join together for a night of networking and fun! Refreshments will be provided from 6-8pm with trivia starting at 8pm. All who wish to stay for trivia are welcome.
• 6–8:00 p.m.
• The District Pour House, Gateway
• Sponsored by the College of Public Health, Public Health Student Leadership Council and Buckeyes for Public Health
Tuesday, April 2
Midland Lecture featuring Brent C. James
The Midland Lecture Series brings distinguished commentators on health care issues to Ohio State. This year's event will feature Brent C. James, MD, MStat, of Intermountain Healthcare System to present a talk titled, "Better Has No Limit: Using Clinical Quality As a Core Business Strategy."
• 7:30–9:30 a.m.
• Faculty Club; Grand Lounge
• Sponsored by the College of Public Health's Division of Health Services Management and Policy and a fund created by the Midland Life Insurance Company
Infant Mortality Student Case Competition
Interdisciplinary teams of College of Public Health students will use local community health assessment data and a health promotion approach to tackle a real-world public health issue and present their solutions to a panel of judges who are experts on the topic. Cash awards will be awarded to the top two student teams courtesy of the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.
• 11:00–2:00 p.m.
• Ohio Union, Senate Chambers
• Sponsored by the College of Public Health, Wexner Medical Center and College of Public Health Alumni Society
Come practice mindfulness and physical well-being with your fellow Buckeyes!
• 6:30 p.m.
• Women's Field House
• Sponsored by the College of Public Health and Public Health Student Leadership Council
Wednesday, April 3
Voices from the Community: Infant Mortality
A panel of subject matter experts including Dr. Pat Gabbe of Moms2B and Priyam Chokshi of Celebrate One will gather to explore the latest community efforts to address the infant mortality crisis in Columbus. Refreshments will be provided.
• 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m.
• Ohio Union, Interfaith Prayer and Reflection Room
• Sponsored by the College of Public Health
Thursday, April 4
Kirwan Institute Panel on Community Violence and Trauma
This session will address the impact of community violence and trauma in our local neighborhoods, what efforts are currently in place and most importantly, what we all can do. You'll hear from panelists representing the Community Action Resilience Empowerment Coalition, Columbus Public Health, The Ohio State University, and Mount Carmel's Crime & Trauma Assistance Program.
• 4–6 p.m.
• Kirwan Institute
Friday, April 5
Women's Health and Reproductive Rights Panel
More details to come.
• 1–3 p.m.
• Cunz Hall, room 160
Saturday, April 6
7th Annual Diversity in Public Health Summit: "HIV/AIDS Crisis, Health Equity, Addiction"
Hosted by College of Public Health Dean William J. Martin, MD, the Multicultural Public Health Student Association invites you to hear from experts in these areas and MPHSA Alumni Founder, Jessica Jolly, MPH, MHA. Jessica is the Chief Operating Offiver at Southwest LA Center for Health Services in Lake Charles, LA.
• 9 a.m.–1 p.m.
• James Cancer Center; Wasserstrom Conference Room
Monday, April 8
Red Cross Blood Drive
Give Blood. Give Life.
• 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
• Cunz Hall, south side of building