Dr. Nemeth is a health behavior and health promotion scientist dedicated to conducting the scientific work needed to improve health and reduce disparities for those impacted by violence and other traumatic exposures. Her research examines the social and contextual contributors to the disparate health behavior and health outcome sequelae evidenced in adolescent and adult populations with a high prevalence of gender-based violence exposure histories. As the leading cause of premature morbidity and mortality, she has increasingly focused her scholarship on smoking behavior and cessation within these populations due to cessation's high potential to reduce health disparities. Dr. Nemeth holds special interest in 1) tailoring health-based behavioral change interventions to best meet the unique needs of gender-based violence survivors in order to prevent disease onset and progression within the population and 2) illuminating policy and cultural change strategies to reduce sexual and intimate partner violence prevalence and its subsequent impact on health behavior. Informed by nearly two decades of community work in sexual and intimate partner gender-based violence prevention and crisis response, and trained as a feminist theorist, she also brings gender, culture, justice and community practice lenses to the study of health behavior and the promotion of health equity. Dr. Nemeth is the co-founder of the Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence, a 501(c)3 organization recognized by the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention and the Office on Violence Against Women as Ohio’s coalition addressing sexual violence response and its prevention. Dr. Nemeth was awarded a K07 Career Development Grant (2017-2022) from the National Cancer Institute to develop a smoking cessation intervention for homeless youth using novel, optimization methodology (Multiphase Optimization STrategy). In addition, she serves as an evaluator on a NIJ funded demonstration grant (2016-2019) awarded to the Ohio Domestic Violence Network; this work focuses on the creation, implementation and evaluation of the C.A.R.E. model, designed by ODVN to increase organizational capacity of domestic violence (DV) service agencies in Ohio to better meet the needs of survivors with disability resulting from mental health or brain injury.
Trauma-informed Health Behavior Intervention Development,
Vulnerable, Traumatized Populations (Sexual & Domestic Violence Survivors, Homeless Youth),
Tobacco Control & Cessation,
Intersection of Violence Exposure, Mental Health, Brain Injury & Substance Use,
Community-Engaged Evaluation & Research
- Nemeth JM, Cooper S, Wermert A, Shoben A, Wewers ME. The relationship between telephone services and smoking cessation among rural smokers enrolled in quitline tobacco dependence treatment. Preventive Medicine Reports. 2017; 8(Dec 2017): 226-31. doi: 10.1016/j.pmedr.2017.10.010
- Nemeth JM, Thomson T, Lu B, Peng J, Krebs V, Doogan N, Ferketich A, Post D, Browning C, Paskett E, Wewers ME. A social-contextual investigation of smoking among rural women: multi-level factors associated with smoking status and considerations for cessation. Rural and Remote Health. In Press.
- Thomson T, Nemeth J, Peng J, Lu B, Ferketich A, Paskett E, Wewers ME. Address-Based Sampling for Recruiting Rural Subpopulations: A Two-Phase, Multi-Mode Approach. The
Journal of Rural Health. In press. doi: 10.1111/jrh.12249.
- Bonomi A, Eaton AA, Nemeth JM, Gillum TL. The Abuse Litmus Test: a classroom tool to assess power and control in on-screen relationships. Family Relations. May 16, 2017; epub ahead of print. doi: 10.1111/fare.12237.
- Curry E, Nemeth JM, Wermert A, Conroy S, Shoben A, et al. A descriptive report of electronic cigarette use after participation in a community-based tobacco cessation trial. Nicotine & Tobacco Research. January 21, 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Wewers ME, Shoben A, Conroy S, Curry E, Ferketich AK, Murray DM, Nemeth J, Wermert A. Effectiveness of two community health worker models of tobacco dependence treatment among community residents of Ohio Appalachia. Nicotine & Tobacco Research. 2016 September 30; epub ahead of print. doi: 10.1093/ntr/ntw265
- Nemeth JM, Bonomi AE, Lu B, Lomax RG, Wewers ME. Risk factors for smoking in rural women: the role of gender-based sexual and intimate partner violence. Journal of Women's Health. 2016; 25(12): 1282-91.
- Thomson TL, Krebs V, Nemeth JM, Lu B, Peng J, Doogan NJ, Ferketich AK, Post DM, Browning CR, Paskett ED, Wewers ME. Social networks and smoking in rural women: intervention implications. American Journal of Health Behavior. 2016; 40(4): 405-15.
- Liu ST, Nemeth JM, Klein EG, Ferketich AK, Kwan MP, Wewers ME. Risk perceptions of smokeless tobacco among adolescent and adult users and nonusers. Journal of Health Communication. 2015; 20(5): 599-606.
- Bonomi AE, Nemeth JM, Altenburger LE, Anderson ML, Snyder A, Dotto I. Fiction or not? Fifty Shades is associated with health risks in adolescent and young adult females. Journal of Women's Health. 2014; 23(9): 720-8.
- Liu ST, Nemeth JM, Klein EG, Ferketich AK, Kwan MP, Wewers ME. Adolescent and adult perceptions of traditional and novel smokeless tobacco products and packaging in rural Ohio. Tobacco Control. 2014 May; 23(3):209-14.
- Kurta ML, Krok JL, Hade EM, Williams J, Nemeth J, Paskett ED. The association between sexual abuse and adherence to risk-appropriate cervical cancer screening guidelines: a study of women in Appalachian Ohio. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2014; 23(3): 568-569.
- Nemeth JM, Bonomi AE, Lomax RG. Initial validation of the Retrospective Teen Dating Violence Assessment (RTDVA). Journal of Women’s Health. 2013; 22(3): 36.
- Bonomi AE, Anderson ML, Nemeth J, Rivara FP, Buettner C. History of dating violence and the association with late adolescent health. BMC Public Health. 2013; 13(1):821-32.
- Krivoshey MS, Adkins R, Hayes R, Nemeth JM, Klein E. Sexual assault reporting procedures at Ohio colleges. Journal of American College Health. 2013; 61(3):142-7.
- Nemeth JM, Liu ST, Klein EG, Ferketich AK, Kwan MP, Wewers ME. Factors influencing smokeless tobacco use in rural Ohio Appalachia. Journal of Community Health. 2012;
- Bonomi AE, Anderson ML, Nemeth J, Buettner C, Bartle-Haring S, Schipper D. Dating violence victimization across the teen years: Abuse frequency, number of abusive partners, and age at first occurrence. BMC Public Health. 2012; 12(1):637.
- Nemeth JM, Bonomi AE, Lee M, Ludwin J. Sexual infidelity as trigger for intimate partner violence. Journal of Women’s Health. 2012; 21(9):942-9.