Andrew Wapner, DO, MPH is the Director of the Center for Public Health Practice (CPHP), the Director of the Master of Public Health Program for Experienced Professionals and a Clinical Assistant Professor of Public Health in the Ohio State College of Public Health (CPH).
As a practicing pediatrician with more than 7 years of public health and health policy experience, his primary interest lies in population health planning through integration of health care and public health, with a focus on social and physical environments and their impact on health status. During his time as chronic disease medical director at the Ohio Department of Health, he lead the creation of the state's first chronic disease prevention and reduction plan and the plan's implementation collaborative. He also served on several statewide advisory groups, including the Health Policy Institute of Ohio's Health Value Measurement Dashboard and Prevention and Public Health Advisory Groups.
Dr. Wapner is a board-certified pediatrician practicing in the Nationwide Children's Hospital Urgent Care system. Prior to joining CPH, he served in multiple roles at the Ohio Department of Health focusing on chronic disease and population health. Before beginning his career in public health, Dr. Wapner practiced pediatrics and pediatric diabetes medicine in Southeast Ohio as a Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Introducing public health workers to policy, systems, and environmental change strategies: A web-based approach. American Public Health Association Annual Conference (2012)
- Developing the workforce to support advanced primary care in Ohio. National Academy for State Health Policy Annual Conference (2012)
- Gestational diabetes in Ohio. Second Global Diabetes Summit (2012)
- Improving health through policy, system and environmental change: Practice in Action Monthly Webinar Series. The OSU Center for Public Health Practice (2011)
Professional Leadership Service and Honors
- Board Member at Large, National Association of Chronic Disease Directors (2015)
- Medical Care Subcommittee Member, Weight of the Nation Planning Committee (2012)
- Member, Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi (2011)
- Chief Resident, Pediatrics, Doctors Hospital (2004)
- Outstanding Primary Care Award, Center of Osteopathic Research and Education, O'Bleness Memorial Hospital (2007)
- Outstanding Clinical and Community Education (CCE) Preceptor, Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine (2006)
- Presidential Leadership Award, Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery (2001)
- Recognition Award for Excellence (1999) Sigma Sigma Phi National Honors Fraternity