Graduate Student Handbook

12.2 Titles

The available titles are Graduate Research Associate (GRA), Graduate Teaching Associate (GTA), and Graduate Administrative Associate (GAA). Students in the CPH may also be hired with titles in other units (e.g., another academic department). Naturally, in such situations the Graduate Associate is subject to the rules of the employing unit.                                                

The majority of Graduate Associates in the CPH are employed as Graduate Research Associates, usually to assist faculty members on large sponsored projects. The variety of responsibilities assigned is great, depending on the nature of the projects and the capabilities of the students.