The purpose of offering an academic graduate certificate in Global One Health is to provide education and training to:
- augment the scope and depth of the respective curricula for students pursuing an applicable graduate or professional degree by adding One Health courses and content via an academic graduate certificate program; and,
- enhance specialized expertise of working professionals who already hold an applicable graduate or professional degree by adding One Health courses and content via an academic graduate certificate program.
There are numerous illnesses associated with environmental exposures to various biological, chemical and physical agents with related concerns for transmissions and interactions between and among humans and animals. Accordingly, there are identified needs and demands domestically and internationally for a more efficient and effective interdisciplinary and integrated One Health approach for surveillance, prevention, mitigation and intervention addressing agents and associated diseases at the interface of human health, animal health and environmental quality.
Individuals who successfully complete the Interdisciplinary Graduate Certificate in Global One Health program will be better prepared to:
- address complex interdisciplinary issues by working across discipline boundaries applicable to the One Health approach;
- interpret monitoring and surveillance data regarding sources, types and reservoirs of environmental contaminants and/or factors affecting the health of both humans and animals;
- summarize major categories of infectious microbial pathogens and other hazardous agents (i.e., chemical and radiological toxicants) associated with both human and animal diseases domestically and internationally;
- describe the interactions and dynamics of disease determinants including infectious and toxicological hazards and impacts on complex infectious and chronic diseases.
- Bachelor degree or advanced degree that includes foundation courses in college-level math, biology and chemistry
- Current graduate or professional degree-seeking student, or a working professional
- Meet all requirements established by the Ohio State University Graduate School for admission to graduate-level academic certificate programs (Section 8.2.3 of the Graduate School Handbook)
- Maximum overlap of 3 credits from the Graduate Certificate program if pursued concurrently with another degree program
- At least 50% of the credit hours required for the certificate must be unique to the certificate and cannot be used toward any other graduate program
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 required
- Grades of A through C- may be counted
15 graduate credit hours required:
- Three required foundation courses (9 credits)
- Two selective courses (6 credits)
|PUBHEPI 6410||Principles of Epidemiology||3 credits (distance)|
|PUBHEHS 6310||Principles of Environmental Health Sciences||3 credits (distance)|
|VETPREV 7721||Epidemiology of Zoonotic Diseases||3 credits (in-person)|
Selective courses (pick two courses that total 6 credits):
|VETPREV 7725||Veterinary Epidemology||3 credits|
|VETPREV 7722||Foodborne Diseases, Food Animal Production and Food Safety||3 credits|
|PUBHEPI 6436||Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases||3 credits|
|VETPREV 8700/PUBHEPI 8413||Molecular Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases||3 credits|
|PUBHEHS 5315||Principles of Toxicology||3 credits|
|PUBHEHS 6320||Global Health and Environmental Microbiology||3 credits|
|VETPREV 8830/PUBHEPI 5420||Infectious Disease Modeling in Humans and Animals||3 credits|
|PUBHBIO 6210||Design and Analysis of Studies in the Health Sciences I||3 credits|
|VETPREV 7724||Biosecurity and Biodefense||3 credits|
|PUBHLTH 7000||Public Health in Developing Countries||3 credits|
|GEOG 5210||Fundamentals of Geographic Information Systems (GIS)||3 credits|
|BMI 5710||Introduction to Biomedical Informatics||3 credits|
|NURS 7780||Evidence-Based Practice||3 credits|
NOTE: Other graduate-level courses may be selected pending review and approval by the Graduate Certificate in Global One Health faculty oversight committee.
For questions about the Certificate, contact bisesi [dot] 12osu [dot] edu (subject: Graduate%20Certificate%20in%20One%20Health) (Dr. Michael Bisesi,) Division of Environmental Health Sciences or gebreyes [dot] 1osu [dot] edu (subject: Graduate%20Certificate%20in%20One%20Health) (Dr. Wondwossen Gebreyes), Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine.