Associate Dean of ResearchChair and Professor, Epidemiology
As an epidemiologist, I am passionate about improving and protecting the sexual and reproductive health of all individuals – in particular, those who face disparities in the social determinants of health. I feel fortunate to work in public health, a field that values interdisciplinary, collaborative research. This means that I get to partner with experts in different disciplines — biology, sociology, psychology, design, medicine and others — to study how to best promote sexual and reproductive health. I can’t imagine a more interesting job than this!
As a sexual and reproductive health epidemiologist, I have conducted research, primarily in low-resource settings, for almost two decades. My overarching goal is to influence public health, clinical practice, and individual behavior in order to improve women and men’s reproductive health. Specifically, I’m interested in the prevention of HIV/STIs and unintended pregnancy and the reduction of risky sexual behaviors. Most of my research has occurred within the context of randomized controlled trials or clinical trials designed to test biomedical or behavioral interventions among at-risk populations. This work has led to the development and application of semen biomarkers to improve the measurement of sexual behavior.
I have enjoyed collaborating with strong partners on research related to HIV/STIs, contraception, or abortion in Jamaica, Madagascar, Mozambique, Kenya, Vietnam and Cambodia. Currently, I am the PI on an NIH R01-funded trial in Thanh Hoa, Vietnam (R01HD084637), an R01 at the OSU Wexner Medical Center (R01HD091274), an SFP-funded study in Kingston, Jamaica, and two foundation-funded studies in Ohio. See https://cph.osu.edu/news/2017/06/gallo%E2%80%99s-work-establishing-objective-measures-sexual-exposure-rewarded-bill-melinda
Before joining OSU in the Division of Epidemiology in the College of Health in August 2013, I was an epidemiologist at CDC and at two international nonprofit research organizations: FHI 360 and Ipas. I had the privilege of serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer with the Ministry of Health in Nicaragua in 1995-1997.
I am the instructor for PUBHEPI 8430 (Epidemiology IV, Meta-analysis module) and PUBHHBP 8899.02 (Grant-writing seminar).
- Luster J, Turner AN, Henry JP Jr, Gallo MF. Association between pubic hair grooming and prevalent sexually transmitted infection among female university students. PLoS One [In press]
- Gallo MF, Nguyen N, Nguyen C, Steiner MJ. Knowledge of contraceptive effectiveness and method use among women in Hanoi, Vietnam. Contraception [In press]
- Mack N, Crawford TJ, Guise JM, Chen M, Grey TW, Feldblum PJ, Stockton LL, Gallo MF. Strategies to improve adherence and continuation of shorter-term hormonal methods of contraception. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2019;4:CD004317.
- Dewart CM, Serpico JJ, Steiner MJ, Gallo MF. Electronic interventions for changing knowledge, attitudes, or practice regarding contraception: A systematic review. Contraception 2019;100:10-25.
- Dianat S, Fox E, Ahren KA, Upadhyay UD, Zlidar V, Gallo MF, Stidd RL, Moskosky S, Dehlendorf C. Side effects and health benefits of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate: A systematic review. Obstet Gynecol 2019l 133:332-41.
- Asad S. Hebert C, Andridge R, Nguyen N, Gallo MF. Changes in the use of effective and long-acting reversible contraception in Vietnam. Contraception 2019;99:165-9.
- Loewenberg Weisband Y, Klebanoff M, Gallo MF, Shoben A, Norris AH. Birth outcomes of women using a midwife versus physician for prenatal care. J Midwifery Womens Health 2018; 63:399-409.
- Omar RF, Guilbert E, Gallo MF, Leboeuf M, Boissinot M, Sellam A, Trottier S, Kobinger G, Bergeron MG. Empowerment of women: Closing the medical technologies gender gap. J Obstet Gynaecol Can 2018;40:78-83.
- Loewenberg Weisband Y, Gallo MF, Klebanoff M, Shoben A, Norris A. Who uses a midwife for prenatal care and for birth in the US? A secondary analysis of Listening to Mothers III. Womens Health Issues 2018; 28:89-96.
- Loewenberg Weisband Y, Gallo MF, Klebanoff M, Shoben A, Norris AH. Progression of care among women who use a midwife for prenatal care: who remains in midwife care? Birth 2018;45:28-36.
- Alkhalaileh D, Hayford SR, Norris AH, Gallo MF. Prevalence and attitudes on female genital mutilation/cutting in Egypt since criminalization in 2008. Cult Health Sex 2018;20:173-82.