As a sexual and reproductive health epidemiologist, I have conducted research, primarily in low-resource settings, for almost two decades. My overarching goal is to influence public health, clinical practice, and individual behavior in order to improve women and men’s reproductive health. Specifically, I’m interested in the prevention of HIV/STIs and unintended pregnancy and the reduction of risky sexual behaviors. Most of my research has occurred within the context of randomized controlled trials or clinical trials designed to test biomedical or behavioral interventions among at-risk populations. This work has led to the development and application of semen biomarkers to improve the measurement of sexual behavior.
I have enjoyed collaborating with strong partners on research related to HIV/STIs, contraception, or abortion in Jamaica, Madagascar, Mozambique, Kenya, Vietnam and Cambodia. Currently, I am the PI on an NIH R01-funded trial in Thanh Hoa, Vietnam (R01HD084637), an R01 at the OSU Wexner Medical Center (R01HD091274), and a SFP-funded study in Kingston, Jamaica. See
Before joining OSU in the Division of Epidemiology in the College of Health in August 2013, I was an epidemiologist at CDC and at two international nonprofit research organizations: FHI 360 and Ipas. I had the privilege of serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer with the Ministry of Health in Nicaragua in 1995-1997.
I am the instructor for PUBHEPI 8430 (Epidemiology IV, Meta-analysis module) and PUBHHBP 8899.02 (Grant-writing seminar).
I am the Co-Director of the Columbus-Athens Schweitzer Fellowship Program. Information about applying to be a Fellow is here: https://engage.osu.edu/for-students/albert-schweitzer-fellows-program.html
- Thomas R, Norris A, Gallo MF. Anti-legal abortion attitudes among abortion patients in the U.S. Contraception [in press]
- Loewenberg Weisband Y, Gallo MF, Klebanoff M, Shoben A, Norris A. Who uses a midwife for prenatal care and for birth in the US? A secondary analysis of Listening to Mothers III. Womens Health Issues [in press]
- Loewenberg Weisband Y, Gallo MF, Klebanoff M, Shoben A, Norris AH. Progression of care among women who use a midwife for prenatal care: who remains in midwife care? Birth [in press]
- Omar RF, Guilbert E, Gallo MF, Leboeuf M, Boissinot M, Sellam A, Trottier S, Kobinger G, Bergeron MG. Empowerment of women: Closing the medical technologies gender gap. J Obstet Gynaecol Can [in press]
- Alkhalaileh D, Hayford SR, Norris AH, Gallo MF. Prevalence and attitudes on female genital mutilation/cutting in Egypt since criminalization in 2008. Cult Health Sex 2017 Jul 4:1-10 [Epub ahead of print].
- Loewenberg Weisband Y, Keder LM, Keim SA, Gallo MF. Postpartum intentions on contraception use and method choice among breastfeeding women attending a university hospital in Ohio: a cross-sectional study. Reprod Health 2017;14:45.
- Luster J, Turner AN, Alkhalaileh D, Gallo MF. Contraception method by HIV status among women in Malawi. Contraception 2017;95:558-63.
- Loewenberg Weisband Y, Keim SA, Keder LM, Geraghty SR, Gallo MF. Early breast milk pumping intentions among postpartum women. Breastfeed Med 2017;12:28-32.
- Gallo MF, Legardy-Williams J, Steiner MJ, Macaluso M, Carter M, Hobbs MM, Hylton-Kong T, Anderson C, Costenbader E, Warner L. Sexual relationship power and semen exposure among female patients at a sexually transmitted infection clinic in Kingston, Jamaica. Arch Sex Behav 2016 Jun 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gallo MF, Legardy-Williams J, Hylton-Kong T, Rattray C, Kourtis A, Jamieson DJ, Steiner MJ. Association of progestin contraceptive implant and weight gain. Obstet Gynecol 2016;127:573-6.