The Graduate Interdisciplinary Specialization in Global Health (GISGH) is an opportunity for students to complement an existing specialization within the College of Public Health.
Objectives of the GISGH:
- To provide graduate and professional students access to interdisciplinary study in global health issues.
- To offer students the opportunity to gain specific expertise in the unique challenges of healthcare in the developing world and among immigrant populations
- To provide formal recognition of such study on the student's transcript upon completion.
The 15 credit hour specialization consists of the following components:
- A 2 credit core course - Public Health 6000: Introduction to Global Health
- A discipline-specific course Public Health 7000: Public Health in Developing Countries (3 credits)
- Electives - 9 credit hours outside Public Health
- A required international field experience PUBHLTH 6189.02 (1-3 credits)
College of Public Health GISGH Requirements:
- Students must complete 9 credit hours in graduate programs outside the College of Public Health. Course descriptions for approved courses outside the College of Public Health are found here.
- Students must receive a grade of "B" or "S" in each course comprising the specialization
- Requirements may include work already required as part of the student's degree program, however the College of Public Health only permits 6 credit hours of overlap between the GISGH and the degree program (not including a permitted overlap for MPH students completing their practicum to fulfill the GISGH).
- Students wishing to pursue the GISGH must complete a College of Public Health GISGH application. The application will be sent to the GISGH Committee. If the application is approved, the student will be notified to log into GradForms and submit an official declaration of the specialization.
GISGH Contact Information:
potter [dot] 128osu [dot] edu (Pamela Potter )
Associate Director, Office of Global Health Education
%20sun [dot] 224osu [dot] edu (Qinghua Sun)
- Assistant Dean for Global Public Health, College of Public Health
droesch [dot] 4osu [dot] edu (Kynthia Droesch)
- Director, Office of Academic Programs and Student Services, College of Public Health