1841 Neil Ave
Columbus, OH, 43210
Ms. Wermert is a program manager at the College of Public Health in the division of Health Behavior and Health Promotion. Ms. Wermert supports Dr. Julianna Nemeth’s research lab, which focuses on conducting the scientific work needed to improve health and reduce disparities for those impacted by violence and trauma. She oversees the various phases and administrative aspects of Dr. Nemeth's research lab, including but not limited to protocol development and management, project implementation, data collection, data security, Institutional Review Board compliance and budget oversight. Prior to managing Dr. Nemeth’s research lab, she was a program manager for the OSU Center of Excellence in Regulatory Tobacco Science Administrative Core. Prior to that, she managed a community-based group randomized smoking cessation trial in Appalachia. Before joining the College of Public Health in 2011, Ms. Wermert coordinated injury prevention programs at two local health departments and at a Level 1 Trauma Center.
- MPH, The Ohio State University, College of Public Health, Health Behavior and Health Promotion, 2002
- BS, University of Cincinnati, College of Education, Health Promotion and Education, 2000
- Nemeth JM, Glasser AM, Macisco J, Hinton A, Wermert A, Patterson JG, Sucaldito A, Gilson C, Kemble H, Garbsch E, Caponi J. Identifying Novel Motivation Phase-Specific Cessation Targets for Youth Experiencing Homelessness in the USA. Nicotine and Tobacco Research. Published 9/19/2023. doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntad176
- Nemeth J, Ramirez R, Debowski C, Kulow E, Hinton A, Wermert A, Mengo C, Malecki A, Glasser A, Montgomery L, Alexander C. The CARE Health Advocacy Intervention Improves Trauma-Informed Practices at Domestic Violence Service Organizations to Address Brain Injury, Mental Health, and Substance Use [published online ahead of print, 2023 Mar 23]. J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2023;10.1097/HTR.0000000000000871. doi:10.1097/HTR.0000000000000871.
- Nemeth JM, Glasser AM, Hinton A, Macisco JM, Wermert A, Smith R, Kemble H, Sasser G. Brain Injury is Prevalent and Precedes Tobacco Use among Youth and Young Adults Experiencing Homelessness. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2023;20(6):5169. doi:10.3390/ijerph20065169 PMCID: PMC10049052
- Patterson JG, Macisco JM, Glasser AM, Wermert A, Nemeth JM. Psychosocial factors influencing smoking relapse among youth experiencing homelessness: A qualitative study. PLoS One. 2022;17(7):e0270665. Published 2022 Jul 26. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0270665 PMCID: PMC3921375
- Glasser AM, Hinton A, Wermert A, Macisco J, Nemeth JM. Characterizing tobacco and marijuana use among youth combustible tobacco users experiencing homelessness – considering product type, brand, flavor, frequency, and higher-risk use patterns and predictors. BMC Public Health. 2022;22(1):820. Published 2022 Apr 25. doi:10.1186/s12889-022-13244-3 PMCID: PMC9036780
- Kemble H, Sucaldito A, Kulow E, Ramirez R, Hinton A, Glasser A, Wermert A, Nemeth JM. How CARE Tools Are Being Used to Address Brain Injury and Mental Health Struggles With Survivors of Domestic Violence. J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2022;37(1):E39-E47. doi:10.1097/HTR.0000000000000745
- Patterson JG, Glasser AM, Macisco JM, Hinton A, Wermert A, Nemeth JM. "I Smoked That Cigarette, and It Calmed Me Down": A Qualitative Analysis of Intrapersonal, Social, and Environmental Factors Influencing Decisions to Smoke Among Youth Experiencing Homelessness. Nicotine Tob Res. 2022;24(2):250-256. doi:10.1093/ntr/ntab196 PMCID: PMC8807165
- Nemeth JM, Cooper S, Wermert A, Shoben A, Wewers ME. The relationship between type of telephone service and smoking cessation among rural smokers enrolled in quitline tobacco dependence treatment. Prev Med Rep. 2017;8:226-231. Published 2017 Nov 8. doi:10.1016/j.pmedr.2017.10.010 PMCID: PMC5683664
- Curry E, Nemeth JM, Wermert A, Conroy S, Shoben A, Ferketich AK, Wewers ME. A Descriptive Report of Electronic Cigarette Use After Participation in a Community-Based Tobacco Cessation Trial. Nicotine Tob Res. 2017;20(1):135-139. doi:10.1093/ntr/ntx013 PMCID: PMC5896449
- Wewers ME, Shoben A, Conroy S, Curry E, Ferketich AK, Murray DM, Nemeth J, Wermert A. Effectiveness of Two Community Health Worker Models of Tobacco Dependence Treatment Among Community Residents of Ohio Appalachia. Nicotine Tob Res. 2017;19(12):1499-1507. doi:10.1093/ntr/ntw265 PMCID: PMC5896470
- Wermert AM, Mehl A, Opalek JM, Shaffer LE. Implementation and early outcomes of a peer-led traffic safety initiative for high school students. J Trauma Nurs. 2012;19(2):94-101. doi:10.1097/JTN.0b013e318256296a.
- Wermert A, Opalek JM. A multidisciplinary motorcycle safety initiative. J Trauma Nurs. 2009;16(4):208-215. doi:10.1097/JTN.0b013e3181ca08d9.