Obesity affects more than 500 million adults globally. This multifaceted, multilayered medical condition requires multidisciplinary solutions. The Graduate Interdisciplinary Specialization in Obesity Sciences teaches students how to address this epidemic from biological, psychological, social, and relational perspectives. This provides you foundational knowledge and skills needed in basic science, prevention science, community interventions and clinical treatments.
In this 10 credit hour specialization, students will learn about obesity sciences from experts within multiple disciplines throughout the university. Additionally, they will complete a community outreach or research project and a capstone project to learn a new area of obesity research.
At the completion of the Obesity Sciences GIS, students will:
- Understand the complex causes, consequences and solutions of the obesity epidemic in four content modules: biomedicine, policy and industry, behavior and sociocultural;
- Find opportunities to form trans-disciplinary teams to address obesity issues;
- Integrate the curricular knowledge and methodologies of your specific area of study as well as areas outside of their professional discipline;
- Develop the skill set necessary to prepare publishable trans-disciplinary scholarship in obesity sciences; and
- Market themselves for positions in academia, industry and government departments that require advanced skills and knowledge in obesity sciences.
Students with a Graduate Interdisciplinary Specialization in Obesity Sciences from The Ohio State University will be equipped with the skills and expertise to contribute to solving the obesity epidemic.