Students should begin planning for the applied practice experience the first semester in the master of public health program. Prior to enrollment, students should review the experience requirements, identify career goals and know the available resources to find a practice experience.
Planning your experience
- Complete an applied practice experience preferred profile questionnaire
- Attend an orientation session in autumn semester
- Explore opportunities through Handshake, career fairs, the college's weekly e-newsletter or a faculty advisor or specialization coordinator
- Identify a site or agency contact to serve as a site supervisor
- Work with a faculty advisor and site supervisor to develop goals, competencies and proposed deliverables
How to enroll in the applied practice experience
Most students enroll in the applied practice experience for the summer term of their first year. Twenty credit hours must be completed in the master’s program prior to enrollment. Students in the Program for Experience Professionals must have at least 15 hours of course work completed. After finding an experience, meet with a faculty advisor for input and approval prior to completing a learning agreement. After the agreement is approved, the applied practice experience course (PUBHLTH 7189) will be added to the students schedule. The student will also be enrolled in a CARMEN COURSE within 24-48 hours.
Note: The CARMEN course associated with your enrollment in PUBHLTH 7189 will not be published. Students will be added to the CARMEN course with the following title
"CPH (Applied Practice Experience) SU 22 .
Summer 2022 Term deadlines
- July 29th, 2022: Students complete applied practice experience student evaluation. Coordinator will upload completed evaluation to Carmen or email to faculty advisor upon receipt.
- July 29th, 2022: Preceptors complete applied practice experience preceptor evaluation. Coordinator will upload completed evaluation to Carmen or email to faculty advisor upon receipt.
- July 29-August 5th : CPH faculty rubric for evaluating the applied practice experience and student performance
- August 4th, 2022: Grade posting deadline for graduating students
- August 8th, 2022: Grade posting deadline for non-graduating student
Note: Students who will not complete the applied practice experience by the deadline should notify their faculty advisor, preceptor and the coordinator. Students will receive an incomplete and will have until the following semester to finish the requirements.
An experience may involve governmental, non-governmental, non-profit, industrial and for-profit settings or appropriate university-affiliated settings with community partners. The college offers resources and assistance for students to find experiences that are beneficial to you and the site with whom you will work.
Applied Practice Experience in Practice
During the Applied Practice experience, students demonstrate attainment of at least five program competencies, and three must be foundational competencies. At the conclusion of the experience, each student will submit the following deliverables: