Research Administration


Valerie Delmonico
Director of Research Administration Services
1841 Neil Ave.
130 Cunz Hall
delmonico [dot] 3atosu [dot] edu

Morgan Brown
IRB Protocol Analyst
1841 Neil Ave.
132 Cunz Hall
brown [dot] 6459atosu [dot] edu

Jen Knisley
Sr. Grants & Contracts Specialist
1841 Neil Ave.
136 Cunz Hall
knisley [dot] 57atosu [dot] edu

Lauren Zappe
Coordinator – Grant Funds
1841 Neil Ave.
Cunz Hall
zappe [dot] 4atosu [dot] edu

CPH Office of Research Guidelines

Please visit this link for the most current version of the CPH Office of Research Guidelines.

Additional Resources

University Policies and how they are established are found at The only way to ensure you’re working with the current policy is to go to the website and refresh your cache, rather than saving the document or a website as a favorite.

Proposal development policies
Project administration policies
Human subjects research protocols
Animal research protocols
Institutional Biosafety Committee
Conflict of Interest
Effort Certification
Intellectual property

Jump to sections below


Off-duty Pay

University policies now in effect allow a maximum of two months off-duty salary from internal sources and a maximum of 2 ½ months from external sources.  Faculty with access to both internal and external sources of funding may fund three months of off-duty salary.*  

CPH Policy (in addition to the above):  Faculty who have earned 2 ½ months of off-duty salary from external sources, and who have sufficient funds in a discretionary account may elect to receive up to ½ month of off-duty salary by using funds from that account.   

*Examples of sources of internal funds that could potentially be used for off-duty funding if budgeted and approved are: MOU’s with other University units, start-up funds, seed grants, pilot programs, endowments, etc.

Limits on Sponsored Project Effort

To be sure we are in compliance with federal audit standards, and with institutional expectations regarding faculty activities, tenured, tenure track, and regular clinical  faculty members in the College of Public Health should not allocate more than 95% of effort on sponsored projects during on-duty terms, including both paid and cost-shared effort.   We recognize that short periods (not to exceed 1-2 months) of higher levels of effort on external projects may be required during times when projects are starting or ending.

Funding for scientific proposal review
In order to strengthen proposals submitted by CPH faculty, the Office of Research will provide funds to compensate an outside reviewer. Investigators are encouraged to contact the CPH Office of Research early in the process so that adequate time is available for the review and subsequent revision of the research plan.

Project Routing
The Ohio State University is the only authorized legal applicant for sponsored research. All proposals and submissions, including non-binding Letters of Intent (LOI), for sponsored program research must be routed through the College of Public Health (CPH) Office of Research and Ohio State's Office of Sponsored Programs.

Under a limited set of circumstances, contracts for non-research sponsored projects can be alternatively routed through university Legal Affairs. A non-research contract may be routed through Legal Affairs if it proposes work that does not involve areas of regulatory oversight (such as human subjects), does not involve cost sharing, and does not have certain specified reporting requirements. Click here for the Request for CPH Contract with complete routing decision criteria and required supporting documents.

CPH faculty are reminded to never sign any funding offer or contract. Faculty are not authorized to accept award offers. Only designated persons can sign on behalf of the university or college.

Eligibility to Serve as Principal Investigator (PI)

Under current university policy, PI status is automatically conferred for salaried, regular faculty members having at least a 50 percent appointment in one of the following titles:
Professor, associate professor, assistant professor, instructor
Research professor, research associate professor, research assistant professor
Persons holding other titles within the College of Public Health are generally not eligible for PI status. Any exceptions to the university policy must be granted in writing by the university’s senior associate vice president for research. The College of Public Health considers exception requests on a case-by-case basis. Individuals desiring PI status should submit a written request with concurrence of their chair or supervisor. Approval from the dean (or associate dean) of the College of Public Health and a letter of support from the dean (or associate dean) is required before the request can be forwarded to the senior associate vice president for research. 

Authorization to Seek Off-Campus Funding (ePA-005)
The ePA-005 is the internal university routing and approval document that is required for all sponsored project proposals. This form documents administrative, budgetary, and compliance information of the proposal, provides chairs and deans with a summary of this information and, when approved, authorizes the Office of Sponsored Programs to submit the proposal to an external sponsor.

The grants staff in the CPH Office of Research will create this routing form on behalf of the PI when the proposal budget and other administrative details have been finalized. All participating investigators, their departments/chairs and colleges/deans are required to sign-off on this form. Approval of the ePA-005 carries with it significant responsibilities and thus requires thoughtful consideration, since with approval the college agrees that the application is consistent with academic goals, is fiscally sound, and that space and other resources will be available as promised. Therefore, if errors or other unacceptable issues are identified, the ePA-005 may be disapproved which may delay the proposal's submission. Because of the number of persons required to review this form, the ePA-005 should be submitted well before the proposal due date to ensure adequate time for all necessary approvals and signatures.
When CPH faculty are collaborating on a proposal with Ohio State faculty in other colleges, they must be named as an investigator on the resulting ePA-005. If there are questions or issues related to the ePA-005, please consult with CPH Office of Research staff.

Award and Expenditure Credit
An important part of the ePA-005 is the allocation of award and expenditure credit. Award allocation is used to allocate or divide award credit between departments when more than one department is involved. The university uses award allocation as a metric to evaluate the productiveness of the research enterprise across departments and colleges.

Expenditure allocation indicates how expenditures and F&A costs are allocated across departments if more than one department is involved. The percentage listed for each department represents the proportion of that department's resources and facilities used in the project.

The College of Public Health expects and requires that all faculty involved in a sponsored project be listed on the ePA-005 and receive an appropriate portion of the award and expenditure credit commensurate with their degree of involvement/responsibility in the proposed project. Tenure-initiating organizations for PIs and co-investigators must be listed even if the expenditure credit allocations are 0%.

Cost sharing

Cost-sharing (also known as matching) occurs when some part of the cost of a sponsored project is paid by a source other than the sponsor. Sometimes a sponsor requires cost-sharing; at other times the sponsor guidelines state that cost-sharing is desirable but not required. If cost-sharing is offered in any part of the proposal, it is a binding commitment that must be met and documented.

The college's general policy is avoid cost-sharing unless it is required or specifically requested by the sponsor. All forms of cost-sharing -- whether in-kind salary contributions or other matching funds -- require the prior approval of the college.

Facilities and Administrative Costs (F&A, Indirects or Overhead)

F&A costs are those costs associated with our infrastructure that support our research enterprise -- buildings and their maintenance, libraries, and college services such as grants management, human resources, information technology, etc. -- that cannot be easily allocated to a specific project. These costs, however, are a real part of the cost of doing research.

Ohio State's approved institutional F&A rates are negotiated with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Although the Office of Sponsored Programs administers the billing and receipt of research funding, all of the F&A reimbursement is distributed back to the University on an annual basis.

It is important that F&A costs be recovered to the maximum extent possible. Investigators should submit proposals that provide for full indirect cost recovery unless sponsor guidelines dictate a lesser rate. The college will consider accepting a lower rate from a sponsor if that rate is documented and applied to all applicants.

If the sponsor is non-federal and does not allow for full indirect cost recovery, costs normally charged as F&A costs may be charged directly if not prohibited by sponsor policy. Please work closely with Office of Research staff if you are considering applying for a program that does not allow full indirect cost recovery.

Human Subjects

All research that uses any data collected on or from human subjects requires Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval from the Office for Responsible Research Practices (ORRP) before research can begin. This includes secondary data analyses and other research that may fall into the exempt category. At a minimum, a written inquiry must be made to ORRP to request an independent determination on whether the work constitutes human subjects research and whether a full, expedited, or exempt application would be required.

The ORRP has developed an Investigator Guide to help researchers navigate the various requirements for conducting human subjects research at Ohio State which is online at Forms for IRB approval, including requests for exemption and administrative review, are available at Submission of IRB documents is now electronic and can be accessed at

For research involving human subjects, all key personnel must have received education on the protection of human research subjects. Individuals can complete the training by using a web-based training program is available at Recertification must be completed every three years.

Research With Animals

Forms and directions to secure approval for research with animals also are available through the Office of Responsible Research Practices. Each individual involved in research with animals must complete the Animal Usage Orientation Course (either classroom or online), the Occupational Health and Safety Training Course (online only), and an Occupational Health Risk Assessment. Information regarding the use of animals is available on Web at

Policy Against Accepting Tobacco Money for Research

The Ohio State University College of Public Health will not accept funds directly from the tobacco industry. Further, any auxiliary, joint or adjunct faculty member that accepts such funding will immediately forfeit their faculty appointment in the College of Public Health. The full policy can be found here.